The Skull Brooch

If you have any ideas for new magic items or new rules for them, or just think the odd one is to over powered then have your say here please.
TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Re: The Skull Brooch

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Looking at the comparison between the two, they both have a fairly different effect of use. Tom's is very single hit and you still get combat. The one I made is like an hourglass of time that lasts until one character dies plus tom's skull brooch effect but it has (potentially) toned down damage and the little after effect.
What if Deja Vu...
Meant I lost a life and started back at the last checkpoint?

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:57 am

TristanSykes1994 wrote:Looking at the comparison between the two, they both have a fairly different effect of use. Tom's is very single hit and you still get combat. The one I made is like an hourglass of time that lasts until one character dies plus tom's skull brooch effect but it has (potentially) toned down damage and the little after effect.
I do like yours, but I'm thinking of simplifying it a little bit, and I need to make it so its not too good.

Perhaps using magic items to boost up your Soldiering could also be seen as cheating as well by Death?

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:35 pm

I have finally got round to working on these magic items. So here are my reworks of them

The Black Skull Brooch (My Dark Friend) at 60 points
A very strange item to become magical, but if Death had his way it would be destroyed!

It's possible to bind creatures from the Middle Plain to an item. However, this requires someone who is a brilliant enchanter and who most likely 'dabbles' in the grim business of Necromancy.

There must have one great Dark Artisan who somehow managed to bind one of Death's Harvengers to this Black Shull Brooch.

The Havenger may be imprisoned within the brooch, but it is far from subdued! As whoever wear's this Dark Brooch or even comes close to it must battle with the entrapped Havenger to keep it from stealing their soul and devouring it!

At the start of the game, the wearer must take a Deviancy Check. If they pass nothing further will happen to the wearer of the Brooch, as they have resisted the Havenger trying to steal their soul. If they fail their check they will automatically take D3 Life Points in damage, which cannot be saved or regenerated, and they must take the check again immediately. Only when they pass the check will they be safe from the Havenger, otherwise it will continue feast upon their soul until they pass that check.

Furthermore, all models at the start of each player's turn that come in to contact with the wearer of the Brooch must immediately take a Deviancy Check. If they pass nothing further will happen in that turn. If they fail their check they will automatically take D3 Life Points in damage, which cannot be saved or regenerated. Models that survive this check will have to continue to take it again at the start of each player's turn as long as they are still in contact with the wearer of this Brooch.

The wearer of this magical Brooch cannot be mounted on a Steed or Beast, and it's not a great idea to put the user in a group of other models for obvious reasons...

The Astral Pendant at 5 points
Canny Merchants who deal in Enchanted Items across the Middle Plain have noticed the high demand for items to deal with the Restless Hordes of Undead that can raise up and cause havoc in the mortal realm and murder countless peasants. This is a terrible thing... will it would be if those Merchants did not capitalise on this golden opportunity to make profit!

They Astral Pendant is an enchanted item that when worn by a character any ethereal weapons used by them or against them will lose their ethereal bonus in combat.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Cool very useful I can see a numpty trying use this if worked correctly
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Brill I will add it to the official magic items list then :)

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:00 pm

So is this mine and tom's worked into one or a reform of one of them?
What if Deja Vu...

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:22 pm

TristanSykes1994 wrote:So is this mine and tom's worked into one or a reform of one of them?
They are reworks, but don't worry I'm still working on 'Death's Pawn' :)

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:26 pm

There you go Trish.

One of Death's Lost Life or Death Gaming Pieces at 50pts
These hideous skeletal gaming pieces are a grave sight to behold should an unfortunate soul find themselves challenged by its bearer as what entails is no mere game, but one of Life and Death with Death himself!

They will journey into Death's own domain in a literal battle of wits to ensure their own survival, overseen by Death himself. Each piece lost in this game causes great pain to the owner as Death strips ribbons of their soul away, stealing precious memories and aging the victim. This is nothing compared to the fate of the loser however, who will become trapped within death's domain to await a truly unfathomable fate...

When a Character comes into base contact with a piece containing another character, their controlling player can declare a Game of Life or Death with that character. However, they must take and pass a Deviancy Check first to declare the game. If passed, an Enemy Character must accept this challenge. They are chosen by their side's controlling player. If failed, another game can be issued at the start of their next turn providing they are still in combat.

Both Characters are pulled out of the mortal realm and appear in front of Death for a Game of Life or Death, which is his favour one! And he's very good at it too!

Immediately remove both characters from the board, and in the following combat phase they must play Death for their Souls.

The player must decide who is going to play Death first.

One player must roll all of their Character's Soldiering Dice, whilst the other rolls all Death's 8 Soldiering Dice.

Bear in mind they are no longer on the board, which represents the mortal realm. So they cannot benefit from any Soldiering modifier belonging on the board. However, Soldiering modifiers caused by special abilities or items they have on their person can still be counted in this check.

The highest amount of +4s wins the game. Reroll any ties.

If a Character wins the check they are returned back to the Moral Plain where they left only moments ago and placed back where they came from on the board. Furthermore, Death is not a bitter loser, and will reward the mortal who beat him at his own game with amazing new powers! Therefore, a winter will permanently gain +3 attacks, +4 Combat Rating and +10 life points.

As for a Character that loses against Death, they will never return and only the Gods know what will happen to them! That model is counted as being slain...

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Whilst I like that you kept the idea of the item. It looks very one sided in favour of the user at it makes the general much easier to protect from other characters... And the fact that the battle is won over one soldiering check rather than the possibility of a drawn out effect makes it more guaranteed to be beneficial rather than a potential hinderance...
What if Deja Vu...

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:47 am

TristanSykes1994 wrote:Whilst I like that you kept the idea of the item. It looks very one sided in favour of the user at it makes the general much easier to protect from other characters... And the fact that the battle is won over one soldiering check rather than the possibility of a drawn out effect makes it more guaranteed to be beneficial rather than a potential hinderance...
I would say its more a 60% in favour to the user of the item, and 40% in favour of the target coming out on top.

Remember you need to take a DC first to issue the game and then it can really back fire too, with the enemy character gaining loads of bonuses if they beat Death.

However, we can play a round with the values, to make it right.