Magical bows

If you have any ideas for new magic items or new rules for them, or just think the odd one is to over powered then have your say here please.
TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Re: Magical bows

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:49 pm

TristanSykes1994 wrote:The Stormcaller Bow at 90pts

Long have hunters sought to strike fear into the hearts of beasts to drive them from fresh pastures, and nothing scares beasts more than nature's wrath itself. The user of this bow does not target what he wishes to shoot, he need only target the sky above and fire into the abyss, and allow nature to answer his call.

The Stormbreaker bow is a magical longbow with the following effects.

Pieces using this bow do not elect to target a unit, but instead mark a point anywhere in range of the bow in the pieces awareness and roll to scatter 2d6. on the roll of a double, the bolt strikes directly on the indicated target, any other result will scatter the indicated distance. once the resting point has been determined, resolve the medium explosion template over the resting point, any models hit suffer -1 toughness and agility with an additional -1 if wearing light armour (or barding) or -2 if wearing heavy armour. if a model is in the air and is hit by this template, they instead take D3 hits for every hit they would have taken. Hits in the air and on the ground are resolved separately.
Should this have a damage range to it in peoples opinion? I forgot about that when writing it.
What if Deja Vu...
Meant I lost a life and started back at the last checkpoint?

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:42 pm

TristanSykes1994 wrote:
TristanSykes1994 wrote:The Stormcaller Bow at 90pts

Long have hunters sought to strike fear into the hearts of beasts to drive them from fresh pastures, and nothing scares beasts more than nature's wrath itself. The user of this bow does not target what he wishes to shoot, he need only target the sky above and fire into the abyss, and allow nature to answer his call.

The Stormbreaker bow is a magical longbow with the following effects.

Pieces using this bow do not elect to target a unit, but instead mark a point anywhere in range of the bow in the pieces awareness and roll to scatter 2d6. on the roll of a double, the bolt strikes directly on the indicated target, any other result will scatter the indicated distance. once the resting point has been determined, resolve the medium explosion template over the resting point, any models hit suffer -1 toughness and agility with an additional -1 if wearing light armour (or barding) or -2 if wearing heavy armour. if a model is in the air and is hit by this template, they instead take D3 hits for every hit they would have taken. Hits in the air and on the ground are resolved separately.
Should this have a damage range to it in peoples opinion? I forgot about that when writing it.
I kind of feel its about right Trish. However, can I offer an alternative set of rules for this Magic Bow:

Roll to hit the users target as normal. If the arrow misses nothing happens. If the arrow hits its target will do nothing that turn. However, that piece has been mart for the rest of the game by the Stormcaller, and will receive D2 bolts of lighting for the rest of the game, which do -1 toughness and agility. Each time the target is hit, add another D2 bolts to the automatic hit. The bolts of lightning will automatically hit the piece at the start of each of the player's turns.

However, I think your rules will be well suited for another magic item call the Comet Bow, which would hurle comets down on the board each turn.

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:08 pm

I don't know. It sounds too much like tumbling skies In bow form.

The comet bow I mean.
What if Deja Vu...

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:02 pm

TristanSykes1994 wrote:I don't know. It sounds too much like tumbling skies In bow form.

The comet bow I mean.
lol you think ;) Yes, well when I read your description for your bow, it sounded like it suited that.

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:03 pm

The thing is I worded mine so that it deals more damage against heavy armour a la conducted electricity.
What if Deja Vu...

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:51 pm

TristanSykes1994 wrote:The thing is I worded mine so that it deals more damage against heavy armour a la conducted electricity.
Well either way, I have added it to the new Magic Items list for working on the next chance I get. So its all good mate :)

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Just through I'd throw an unorthodox one into the mix

Life Link 50pts
A very torturous bow indeed, created by very dark wizards for the battleland assassins to help insure the targets death even if the assassin perished as well.
One the assassination has found there mark even if the arrow doesn't kill them should any harm then befall the assassin this peculiar bow transfers the damage tor there target as well.
One well known case of this is a king at a feast was shot by an assassin and ordered his guards to behead him.
A few seconds later the King's crown hit the floor head still attached to it.

This weapon is treated as a normal short bow with the following special rules.
If an enemy piece suffers an unsaved life point damage from this bow then he becomes "linked" to the bow wielder, any LP damage the bow wielder takes the "linked" enemy also takes which is unsaveable.
Only one enemy can be linked at a time.
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:46 am

tom1 wrote:Just through I'd throw an unorthodox one into the mix

Life Link 50pts
A very torturous bow indeed, created by very dark wizards for the battleland assassins to help insure the targets death even if the assassin perished as well.
One the assassination has found there mark even if the arrow doesn't kill them should any harm then befall the assassin this peculiar bow transfers the damage tor there target as well.
One well known case of this is a king at a feast was shot by an assassin and ordered his guards to behead him.

If an enemy piece suffers an unsaved life point damage from this bow then he becomes "linked" to the bow wielder, any LP damage the bow wielder takes the "linked" enemy also takes which is unsaveable.
That is a very interesting one Tom, I like it. However, could we change the Bow to become a Crossbow instead?

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:29 am

Yeah you can do its more the ability I liked then the bow itself
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Here are my reworks of those Bows you guy have been working on:

Bee Sting Bow at 50pts
The reclusive Lords of the wood have many magic items hidden away from the fire makers, but this does not stop many a courageous treasure hunter working their way into the forests and stealing away their treasures. One of these stolen treasures was taken from a Fairy Prince and was a Magical Bow.

This enchanted Bow has the ability to shoot arrows that on impact explodes into a swarm of angry Bees, which instantly attack their target with thousands of stings!

This magic Bow follows all the rules for this type of weapon, with the following special rules underneath.

When a piece is hit by this Magical Bow's Arrow, instead of hitting its target just once, it hits its target D6 times. Each hit does -3 to its target's Agility Save and has a Damage Rating of 1.

This Magical Bow cannot be used in conjunction with Magic Arrows.

The Grey Bow at 50pts
This grey wooden Short Bow stands as tall as a man and strung tight, making it seem almost impossible to draw, but the wood it is carved from bends as smoothly as a blade of grass and snaps back with such force that it could send its arrow straight through a dragon's hide to pierce its heart.

This magic Short Bow follows all the rules for this type of weapon, with the following special rules underneath.

When the user of this magical Short Bow hits their target, a hit will deduct -5 Toughness from its save and cause 1-3x3 in Damage.

This Magical Short Bow cannot be used in conjunction with Magic Arrows.

Storm Caller Bow at 90pts
Long have hunters sought to strike fear into the hearts of beasts to drive them from fresh pastures, and nothing scares beasts more than nature's wrath itself.

The user of this bow does not target what he wishes to shoot. Instead he need only target the sky above and fire into the abyss, and allow nature to answer his call.

The Character using this Magical Bow does not target a piece like they would with an ordinary Bow. Instead, they mark a point anywhere within the Bow's range and its user's awareness ranges and rolls 1 Scatter Die and 2D6.

On the roll of a double, the Bolt Strikes directly on the indicated target, any other result will scatter according to the Scatter Dice's coordinates. Put the Medium Explosion Template over wherever the Lightning comes down. Any models hit suffer -1 toughness and agility with an additional -1 if wearing Light Armour or -2 if wearing Heavy Armour. Hits in the air and on the ground are resolved separately.

This Magical Bow cannot be used in conjunction with Magic Arrows.

tom1 wrote:Just through I'd throw an unorthodox one into the mix

Life Link 50pts

Looking at this Magic Bow again, I thought it was a little OP to include.