Elf Army List V3 (The Golden Masters)

The new Imperial Elves, the Golden Masters V3~ are now being worked on!
Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Elf Army List V3 (The Golden Masters)

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi everyone,

On Saturday the 6th of November 2015 (this weekend) I will be releasing the third version of the main Rulebook, and the new Orcs and Herlanceian Codexes :D Btw, thank you to everyone who helped me to create those rules for everyone else to enjoy, you know who you are. After they have been released, I want to start working on the Elves again and update them.

Well the truth is however, I have already started tinkering around with them, and here are a few new ideas I'm thinking about:

* The basic infantry will have more weapon options, such as Flails, Great Hammers and just Sword and Shield options.
* The Enforcers who are the Elves elite infantry unit will have the option of taking Great Hammers into combat now.
* The Elves I think should have Pegasus Riders, because that would be awesome :D
* They will get all the usual Siege Equipment for siege games.
* They should get less powerful wizards for smaller games.

As you might have noticed with this post, I want to kick off this conversation now about the new Elves and how our little community whats them to turn out. Bare in mind though, they are an elite style army and so quite expensive in points. So they will always be outnumbered on the battlefield, but have a better statline than their opponents to make up for their low numbers.

So if you have any new ideas about them or what new pieces they should have in their ranks, now's the time to fight for it.

I will work as quickly as I can to get out the first rough draft of the Elves so people can start to game with them and give me feedback on them.

darkgunman 3
Knight of Epic
Knight of Epic

Re: Elf Army List V3 (The Golden Masters)

Post by darkgunman 3 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:33 am

hi Dave ,
i like the Pegasus riders idea for the elves,
but i not sure about the great hammers as a weapon option for the basic infantry and their elite brothers .

i have an idea but i not sure if you will go for it , may be for the next update when all the books are released - it has probably been brought up during game testing and rules generation - this idea will make three plains more complex -introduce naval combat as an option or expansion to the races.

darkgunman 3
Knight of Epic
Knight of Epic

Post by darkgunman 3 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:09 am

i thought about something else for the elves their heavy cavalry unit instead of the using horses as mounts how about using big elks or stags as mounts
i don't know how hard to model them instead horses. or giant falcons.

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:57 pm

darkgunman 3 wrote:i have an idea but i not sure if you will go for it , may be for the next update when all the books are released - it has probably been brought up during game testing and rules generation - this idea will make three plains more complex -introduce naval combat as an option or expansion to the races.
Wow, what a great idea, and I would love to write a Naval game :) However, at the moment we are still working on getting the Siege game right, as it still needs a lot of game testing yet and I really want to bring out more Armies for Three Plains as well. So for now we really have to stay focused on that. I have a habit of drifting off to start new projects all the time and end up getting nothing done lol

However, I do think P&P would be a great format for a Three Plains Naval game, and even now I'm thinking about rules for it... :roll:
darkgunman 3 wrote:but i not sure about the great hammers as a weapon option for the basic infantry and their elite brothers .
I kind of agree with you Darkgunman3, the War Hammer is not really an Elf weapon. However, they do need something to deal with tougher and more resilient targets. I did consider upgrading the Enforcers Great Blades to become a special heavy blade which can pierce armour. The thinking behind them would be that they are so finely made they could penetrate armour very easily and do -2T and -1R and +1 Damage range. I was thinking of calling them Weeping Blades. What do you think?
darkgunman 3 wrote:i thought about something else for the elves their heavy cavalry unit instead of the using horses as mounts how about using big elks or stags as mounts
i don't know how hard to model them instead horses. or giant falcons.
The thing is there is going to be a faction call 'The Lords of the Woods' and the Imperial Elves have managed to fall out with them. In the beginning they all got on, but when the Elves disbanded all their Kingdoms and turned into an Imperium, they turned on the Lords of the Woods.

Also, there are two types of animals in the game. The Divinely created and what evolved after chaos tinned the world of Many, and we Humans and Orcs also fall into this category too. So the Elves will only ride divinely created creatures or lesser creatures of labour (slaves) that they have domesticated like horses for instance.

So we could argue that the Elves could ride Rocks into battle, because they were divinely created and all divinely created creatures do share a kinship. Rocks are giant Eagles and would be a nice and cheaper alternative to riding a Dragon for instance. On the other hand, Elves are going to have Unicorn and Pegasus Princes, which strong mount in combat. So the Rock would have to be a mind monster of about 4 to 6 attacks.

Big Elks or Stags as mounts would go against the game's lore just a little bit, but I do think a unit of specially bred Mountain Goats as a unit of Light Cavalry that could even go over impassable terrain (barring high walls) would be very a cool! They could even have a special Butt Attack. We could have them as an upgrade to the Strider Riders. However, they would be a little slower than Horses

Keep the good ideas coming, this is what its all about :)

darkgunman 3
Knight of Epic
Knight of Epic

Post by darkgunman 3 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:49 pm

i like both ideas - the weeping blades of vorpal or sharpness option and light cavalry mountain goat unit call them "the alpine striders" .their thick fur would give them protection equal to light armor without the actual armor of course. :D
i also agree that the roc would be a possible alternative to the more expensive dragon. on the internet i found a picture of a roc that i think is cool. :o
roc___garuda_for_swords_and_wizardry_by_zelldweller-d5y3l0w.jpg
roc___garuda_for_swords_and_wizardry_by_zelldweller-d5y3l0w.jpg (105.83 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
if i think anything else , i will let you know.

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:38 pm

darkgunman 3 wrote:i like both ideas - the weeping blades of vorpal or sharpness option and light cavalry mountain goat unit call them "the alpine striders" .their thick fur would give them protection equal to light armor without the actual armor of course.
Ok then, think that will be in the game :)
darkgunman 3 wrote:i also agree that the roc would be a possible alternative to the more expensive dragon. on the internet i found a picture of a roc that i think is cool.
Well I just love this :o So much so, that I'm going to use it and draw my model over it! I will try and write up some rough stats for the Rock soon, but I think its going to be much like the Herlanceian Griffin.

Keep up the good work Darkgunman 3

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:03 am

Here is a quick stat line for the Rock, which I think will be about 200-280pts.
Attachments
Rock.PNG
Rock.PNG (9.91 KiB) Viewed 2457 times

darkgunman 3
Knight of Epic
Knight of Epic

Post by darkgunman 3 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:25 pm

i agree with the stats line since it is comparable to the griffin . make the points at 240pts which the middle ground between 200 -280 points. at least that's what i think .

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:19 pm

darkgunman 3 wrote:i agree with the stats line since it is comparable to the griffin . make the points at 240pts which the middle ground between 200 -280 points. at least that's what i think .
Its about right, but it will need game testing to home it down the right points.

Also because of this rule on page 69, I'm going to have rethink the Elf mounts.

"Beast Mounts & Agility
To ride upon a beast that is fast and agile, makes you fast and agile too. However, beware, as the reverse is also true, which can make you a sitting duck on top of your mighty beast in battle.

If a character is 'mounted' (or sat) upon a steed, beast or war machine, they must use their mount's agility value instead and completely ignore their own. For instance, a rider with no agility is mounted on a Griffin with an agility of 2, they will gain 2 agility to their save. On the other hand, if an Elf rider with an agility of 2 is mounted on a Dragon with no agility, they will lose this bonus from their save instead. Furthermore, if the rider's beast they are mounted on is 'Sluggish', they too will suffer from this penalty in combat, and this special rule is explained above."

So what I'm going to have to do is move the Elves away from depending on using horses in battle, as they do not have any agility and would cut out their Elf rider's agility value in the game. This would make them easier to kill. They need something they can mount which can complement their agility like the Mountain Goat. I think they will still use horses though, but only for their Heavy Cavalry, which they can compensate their poor save with barding and heavy amour, which would push up their save to 4 toughness and they will still give their one 1 magic too.

'Beast Mounts & Agility' is a pretty new rule and still might need a bit of work on yet. So its effect might be lessened in the game when Three Plains V3.8 is released after X-mas when I'm hoping to get the first version of the Elves out. It won't be a perfect codex, but it will be a working version of their rules people can use in battle.

At the moment the rule 'Beast Mounts & Agility' does not really affect the game too much and where it does, it works find, its just high agility armies it has too much of a negative affect. So at the moment it's fine to use.

darkgunman 3
Knight of Epic
Knight of Epic

Post by darkgunman 3 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:59 pm

hi Dave,

on the internet i found pictures of possible alternatives to using horses in battle
mounted-elven-archer.png
mounted-elven-archer.png (125.12 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
elven_legacy-294553-1255328938.jpeg
elven_legacy-294553-1255328938.jpeg (207.42 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
220px-Blood_Elf_hawkstriderrider.jpg
220px-Blood_Elf_hawkstriderrider.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 2447 times