Dice rolls to hit.

BooJaa
Hardened Epic Warrior
Hardened Epic Warrior

Dice rolls to hit.

Post by BooJaa » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 am

Hey, long time no see you mates (World of Tanks eats all my time now, but i try to back to wargaming again).

This forum i thing is best place to as you opinion about one gaming roles. So...

We roll dices and a) we try to roll more, or b) roll less, it depends on rules and other stuff. In RPG or games with levelups, characters development simply tasks becomes less hard to accomplish.

My exampled: to hit enemy you roll 2 D6, you need to score less then you character weapon skill (WS) + gun accuracy (GS). Your soldier gaining xp and you can spend it to increase you WS or buy more accurate gun. So instead to roll 5 or less, now you need - 7 or 8.

I think its best way to develop war game with character progress, but then comes magic...
I really like WHF roles - rolling as much dice as you can to get highest results. Bossting results with special skills and more dice. But now you need to roll more, not less with dice. In game you have to use 2 different tectonics - one for magic and one for other tests (to hit, strength test and other).

I like to read your thoughts about it. Use 2 dice rolling mechanics or try to find way around it?

And again, sorry for my English, its hard to brainstorm in not born language :D

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Re: Dice rolls to hit.

Post by tom1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:12 pm

i see what you mean and that sytem does make sense
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Hey Boojaa,

K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Stupid ;)

This is a saying and I just keep it simple whatever system you use.

So how about having a dice system of Passes. So a 4+ is a pass and anything below is a fail. Each time you level up you get another dice. Or the dice could pass on a 3+ instead.

Though there is nothing wrong with the system you use as an example, it is a little done to death :) so if you could come up with something a bit different, that would be nice for your game I think.

But really I would need to know more about the game first.

Hope that helps :)

BooJaa
Hardened Epic Warrior
Hardened Epic Warrior

Post by BooJaa » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I need to say this is just PreAlfa :D Just the ideas who can become game finally.

Basically its like skirmish game, where you train skills for your squat, buying the equipment and try to destroy your enemy.
Slowly it seams that alternative world war 2 may be best plot for action. First 3 main forces will try to win, and them maybe some different comes like expansion.

At the beginning you have 9 soldiers and leader with basic weapons, and some money to get better equipment, or warriors with some special skills.

Battles plays by turns. Each turn you have 6 action points (AP). Your soldier can use from 0 to 3 AP, you need to put 6 markers with blank side near the solder. Marker can be 0 AP (soldier don't do anything that turn) or 1, 2, 3 AP.
After all players put they markers they roll a D6 for each marker and shows the AP of markers.

Lowest points starts his actions first. Soldier can move or shot using AP. About shooting i write before so at the moment i wont repeat. Each soldier get XP ir he attacks or was attacked, and more xp if he kills enemy. If soldier dead - he loose all xp. If he have enough xp he can improve his stats or skills.

Hope you get where i going with it :)

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:25 pm

so its like a fire team game where you outfit your squad for specific tasks
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Just thought :)

You could get the same number of dice per APs a piece is allowed and when a piece shoots it spends a die. When a piece runs out of dice its turn is over. just an idea.

It sound like a nice simple game :) so the dice system you suggest would be find for it i think :)