Is this Rule Understandable???

This forum is setup to talk about all the rules found in Three Plains’ Rulebook. So here new rules can be suggested, current rules can be debated by Epic Members and Epic Members or Me can help new players of Three Plains get to grip with its rules.
Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Is this Rule Understandable???

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi all,

After today's game test, where two Characters fought it out in a life or death battle, one had Flimsy Ranks and the other did not. We were game testing the Restless and the Character with Flimsy Ranks was Trish's General. In the end he crumble to bits because he was the one with Flimsy Ranks. Anyway, this sparked a lively debate if Characters should have Flimsy Ranks when they fight against each other in combat.

I kind of feel Trish had a point...

The rules for Flimsy Ranks are both important, but I feel they are already too complicated already for my liking. So I hesitate to make them even more complicated to accommodate this new nuance in the game.

However, I have rewrote them and I want to know what you guys think of them and if you understand them? And if you have any suggestions to streamline these rules, I would love to hear them, thanks?

I have highlighted the main changes to these rules in Red.

Buckling because of Flimsy Ranks
A few thinly spread out lines of troops is just begging to be burst through, as they will not be able to hold back the weight of an enemy unit in combat, and a good general knows how to exploit this.

All the following pieces suffer from 'Flimsy Ranks':

• All 'standard' units with less than 50% of a second rank remaining.
• All mobs with less than 3 full ranks remaining.
• All skirmishers.
• All loose moving Characters, Infantry, Cavalry, Beasts and War Machines, including the stationary Batteries of Machines and Chariot units with 4 or less attacks.
• Other gaming pieces will suffer from flimsy ranks because it is indicated in their profiles.
• Some pieces that fail a deviancy check or overextend them self making a special maneuver could also suffer from flimsy ranks, depending on the rule's description.

When a piece with flimsy ranks is engaged in combat with at least one of the following enemies listed underneath, they will always 'Buckle' under their weight:

• A Character, Beast or War machine piece that has a total of 5 or more attacks.
• A Unit or a Mob of Infantry or Cavalry that does not have Flimsy Ranks itself.

However, there are four exceptions to the buckling rule, were a piece with flimsy ranks will never buckle and they are:

• Firstly, a flimsy ranked piece will never buckle under the weight of another flimsy ranked piece.
• Secondly, when a piece with flimsy ranks fights an enemy in their flanks or rear, that piece will not buckle. However, if that enemy turns to face them in combat the unit will buckle as normal.
• Thirdly, when a piece with flimsy ranks fights an enemy which has one or more pieces already engaged in its flanks or rear, it will not buckle. However, those friendly rear or flank attacks must total 4 or more; otherwise their attack will not be substantial enough to take the enemy's pressure off the vulnerable Flimsy Ranked piece fighting in its front.
• The last exception is; when two opposing 'Characters' or one or a group of 'Beasts' mounted or not enter into combat with each other, neither side will suffer from Flimsy Ranks, unless one side has double the attacks of the other. This is because both sides do not bother holding a formation, which makes it very unlikely either side will buckle under the other's weight.

A piece which buckles in combat suffers +5 battle stress dice. To learn more about 'Battle Stress' and its affects in the game, see page 46.

A piece can never buckle more than once in combat, even if there is more than one reason why it would collapse under the weight of an enemy in battle.

On the top right is example 'F7' demonstrating the most typical cause of buckling, which is a unit of Elves collapsing under the weight of an enemy unit in combat. The Elves are buckling because their second rank has fallen down to less than 50%, due to losses in combat. So now they can no longer hold back the weight of their enemy's attacks, and will suffer +5 battle stress dice.

Pieces with flimsy ranks can never 'Overlap' an enemy in combat, no matter how much they might overextend them, or even if they are fighting the enemy in their rear or flanks they still cannot overlap them in combat. The rules for 'Overlapping' an enemy in combat are described on the previous page.

Note: 'Overlapping' an enemy and 'lapping models round' a foe in combat are two different rules. So a loose moving piece can always lap its models round an enemy in combat as normal, even if it suffers from flimsy ranks.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Re: Is this Rule Understandable???

Post by tom1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:22 pm

It is understandable, but as I said saturday I was happy for the rules to stay the same as characters generally don't fight each other 1v1
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:30 pm

I decided to go for this option instead... but I'm still not sure what would be the right rules for this situation :? ...

"The last exception is; when two opposing 'Characters' or one or a group of 'Beasts' mounted or not enter into combat with each other, neither side will suffer from Flimsy Ranks. This is because both sides do not bother holding a formation, which means neither side will buckle under the other's weight."

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Dave wrote:I decided to go for this option instead... but I'm still not sure what would be the right rules for this situation :? ...

"The last exception is; when two opposing 'Characters' or one or a group of 'Beasts' mounted or not enter into combat with each other, neither side will suffer from Flimsy Ranks. This is because both sides do not bother holding a formation, which means neither side will buckle under the other's weight."
trying to decipher this and the beast part is throwing me, Would this wording adjustment suffice?

The last exception is; when two opposing 'Characters' pieces, Neither of which are mounted upon a beast piece with a separate profile, enter combat with each other, neither side will suffer from Flimsy Ranks unless their number of attacks is at least double the opponents. This is because both sides do not bother holding a formation, which means neither side will buckle under the other's weight.

if one side was mounted on a beast, then the other would be subject to normal buckling rules right?
What if Deja Vu...
Meant I lost a life and started back at the last checkpoint?

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:37 pm

TristanSykes1994 wrote:trying to decipher this and the beast part is throwing me, Would this wording adjustment suffice?

The last exception is; when two opposing 'Characters' pieces, Neither of which are mounted upon a beast piece with a separate profile, enter combat with each other, neither side will suffer from Flimsy Ranks unless their number of attacks is at least double the opponents. This is because both sides do not bother holding a formation, which means neither side will buckle under the other's weight.

if one side was mounted on a beast, then the other would be subject to normal buckling rules right?
What I have decided to do with this rule is just have it so when Beasts and Characters fight each other, neither side will Buckle. Because my thinking is that the Overlapping rule should make up for one of the sides not having to buckle in combat. So if a character on foot is fighting a dragon for instance, that character would suffer 6 BS, because of how badly overlapped they are in combat.