New Rules added 'Withdrawing from Combat (DC)'

This forum is setup to talk about all the rules found in Three Plains’ Rulebook. So here new rules can be suggested, current rules can be debated by Epic Members and Epic Members or Me can help new players of Three Plains get to grip with its rules.
Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

New Rules added 'Withdrawing from Combat (DC)'

Post by Dave » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:30 am

Hi everyone,

After a few of the game testers have mentioned it to me and others writing to me over the years about it, I have added this new rule to Three Plains. What do you guys think?

Withdrawing from Combat (DC)

Very little is gained from a bloody combat, where both sides will batter each other to death, apart from a good tale to tell in a tavern. The more pragmatic and perhaps duller commanders realise this, and will often withdraw their forces from battle so that their men are free to engage where their enemy is weak and they can win a tactical advantage.

All gaming pieces have the option to order their warriors to 'Withdraw from Combat'. However, pieces suffering from 'Hatred' and 'Frenzy' can never make this move. These special psychologies are explained on page 65.

This special order can be issued immediately after a combat has been fought out in any player's turn, just before the Battle Stress Phase of the game starts.

To withdraw from combat the piece must take and pass a Deviancy Check first. If the check fails, the piece cannot withdraw out of combat and will suffer from 'Flimsy Ranks' until the start of their next turn. The rules for 'Flimsy Ranks' are as described on page 44.

If the deviancy check is passed, turn the piece around to face in the opposite direction of its attacker and move it 1D6 inches away from its enemy. If a piece has a movement rating of 12 or greater, it will withdraw back 2D6 inches instead. If the withdrawing piece can fly, add another D6 to its move, and it will always end its turn airborne. The withdrawing piece may add on another D6 inches to their move, but must be left facing directly away from the enemy after making this move, as if they are fleeing.

If there is no room available for a piece to withdraw back, then it may not move out of combat at all. Or if there is room, but the falling back piece runs out of space whilst retreating, they must stop 1 inch away from whatever stopped them from withdrawing back fully. However, the board's border will never stop a piece from falling back off its perimeter. If this happens, refer to 'Moving off the Board' on page 35 and follow the rules from there.

After withdrawing from combat the piece can reform up again, and can be turned around to face in any direction its controlling player wishes. However, if the withdrawing piece chooses to add on the extra D6 inches of movement, it must be left facing in the direction it was travelling away from its enemy. In the piece's next turn it can go on to move, fight, cast magic, etc as normal, but it cannot make another withdraw from combat again until the turn afterwards. This means a piece cannot keep on withdrawing from combat turn after turn. So it must wait for one turn to pass before it can make this manoeuvre again.

Note: Flying pieces cannot be caught by ground pursuing pieces even if they outrun it. However, if the pursuers can fly themselves, then the withdrawing back piece can be caught as normal.

When a piece has finished making it's withdraw move from out of combat, their enemy must pursue them to reengage them again, unless they can take and pass a deviancy check to hold their position where they are. If the enemy pursues, they will 'charge' after the withdrawing piece 2D6 inches. If a piece has a movement rating of 12 inches or greater, they will move 3D6 inches instead, and if they can fly, add another D6 inches of movement on to that roll. If the enemy can catch the withdrawing piece, they will reengage them in combat again and will continue to fight out that combat from that new position on the battlefield.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Re: New Rules added 'Withdrawing from Combat (DC)'

Post by tom1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:59 pm

I see, so if you do it after combat and go to retreat you have to take casualties into account so it's not the kind of manoeuvre you do without serious consideration as ot could make you receive extra stress dice in the battle stress phase and there's no guarantee you'll get away
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Re: New Rules added 'Withdrawing from Combat (DC)'

Post by Dave » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:54 am

tom1 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:59 pm
I see, so if you do it after combat and go to retreat you have to take casualties into account so it's not the kind of manoeuvre you do without serious consideration as ot could make you receive extra stress dice in the battle stress phase and there's no guarantee you'll get away
That's spot on Tom. Yes it would not be an easy thing for a unit to leave a fight with the chaos of combat. Perhaps we could look at having a special rule for a 'Hit and Run' maneuver to help certain units crash into combat and then leave with a bonus to their soldiering to help them pass their DC.