Spotting

This forum is setup to talk about all the rules found in Three Plains’ Rulebook. So here new rules can be suggested, current rules can be debated by Epic Members and Epic Members or Me can help new players of Three Plains get to grip with its rules.
Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Spotting

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi all,

After yesterday's game test, Tom mentioned that it would be nice to have a Spotting rule for missile pieces, and well here it is:

Spotting (DC)
During a battle it is not always possible for all the Archers and Artillery to see their targets, because of friendly infantry blocking their view. So they must rely on a 'Spotter', who will bark out orders of where and when to shoot at the enemy, and this makes it possible to hit them with their missiles.

Any character can become a 'Spotter' for a missile piece, apart from a 'Halfwit'.

At the start of the game, the Spotter's controlling player must declare who their missile piece's spotters are. A missile piece can only have one character piece spotting for them, but a character can spot for as many missile pieces as they like. A spotter must be within 6 inches of the missile piece they are spotting for; otherwise that piece would not be able to hear their spotter's orders.

If a missile piece's spotter can see the enemy, and pass a deviancy check that piece can target and shoot at them even if they cannot see their target themselves from their position on the battlefield. The missile piece can even shoot over their friendly and enemy models, providing they can shoot off their missile in an arc, such as archers, catapults and trebuchets do. This means missile weapons like a Bolt Thrower cannot benefit from a character spotting for them.

Note: Missile pieces that have a spotter can in affect see through their eyes, but they must still follow the rest of the normal rules for shooting. For instance, their targets must still be within their missiles' range and within their shooting arc before they can shoot at their targets.

Note: Mounted characters are ideal for spotting enemy targets, because they can see over friendly infantry unlike their comrades on foot can.

I have added this new rule to the game.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Re: Spotting

Post by tom1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Cool and I'm surprised you expanded it to archers as well as catapults as that makes elves archers a nice backline unit with spotters
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:20 pm

tom1 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 pm
Cool and I'm surprised you expanded it to archers as well as catapults as that makes elves archers a nice backline unit with spotters
Well a few people have mentioned it over the years. So I thought I would finally add it in. We will have to see how it plays out during our next game test, but I can see the Herlanceians really benefiting from this new rule.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 am

Yeah, it gives extra versatility to your backline wizards as well
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:56 am

tom1 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 am
Yeah, it gives extra versatility to your backline wizards as well
Oh yes, that's a good point Tom! I didn't think about using wizards in that role, but they would be ideally suited for it, as you normally want to keep them out of combat and behind your lines.