New Rules Change Coming in V3 of Three Plains

This forum is setup to talk about all the rules found in Three Plains’ Rulebook. So here new rules can be suggested, current rules can be debated by Epic Members and Epic Members or Me can help new players of Three Plains get to grip with its rules.
Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

New Rules Change Coming in V3 of Three Plains

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi guys,

In Three Plains V3 'Movement' will be radically changed. At moment I'm in the process of rewiring it and the new system is a tweaked version of 'Point to Point' moment, which all pieces in the game will use in TPV3. My goal with rewriting the Movement Chapter is:
  • Make the game simpler
    Play faster
    Cut down on rules
    Have one system in place which covers all moment.
    To make units more flexible and faster, as they will be able to in TPV3 to change shape (only when need to) with out it costing any more moment.
    To cut out the farting about with moving units around, so I'm getting rid of Right, Left or about turning, pivoting etc, but have replace with a much easy system.
At the moment I am about half way through rewriting the new movement rules and tommow they will have there 'Maiden Test Game' so to speak. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. Also I would love to hear your comments on what you think of this new system as I reveal more about it in the coming days and week here.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Re: New Rules Change Coming in V3 of Three Plains

Post by tom1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 pm

So you can charge without pivoting
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:46 am

Yes, you will see tomorrow =O)

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Right, I just finished the first draft of the new rules for 'Movement' and it looks like it all going to work much better than the old system did.

When I was writing the new rules, I also found myself also updating how loose moving groups of warrior fight in combat too and few other changes as well. Tomorrow I have another read through of them and start working of the Dwarfs again, as I only been working on these new movement rules.

Next week, I'm making another YouTube Vid/Blog again and in it I will talk about these new rules more closely.

Unfortunately though, changing the movement is a massive one and will have a knock on affect throughout the book, which I will now have to read through and make sure its all in sync again. The good news is though, its better I do it now and I have a year to work out its kinks with game testing.

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:01 am

Just a little update to this thread before I hit the sack...

I have finished writing the new movement rules and put it into the main rulebook now, but I have not as yet had a chance to integrate them properly throughout the main rule system as yet, but there and running now.

We had game tested them last week for the first time on Saturday and for the most part they worked fine. Though Trish had his objections to them, as he couldn’t control how his pieces squared-up to the enemy (Tom) pieces. A driving philosophy to the new Movement Rules is ‘everyone into combat’, unless it’s a unit which has to keep its general formation. So this means, loose moving pieces (all pieces which are not units) could spill into combat with other pieces, which Trish didn’t want to happen. However, from my point of view the battle with these new rules in play looked far more realistic with gaming pieces lapping round the enemy, as they would in real life, rather than staying in a rigid shape all the time. In spite of this though, it was clear that these new rules still need far more work on. This is fine though, as we have an entire year to get them right before Three Plains V3 comes out.

Lastly, in my last video I made I mentioned I wanted to make the Battle Stress Rules more leaner too. Well without giving too much away we have found a new system which uses the old one’s gaming mechanics. This means it won’t affect gaming pieces points, nor will it affect the rest of game’s mechanics either, some rules though will need tweaking, but not totally rewriting :D

I have drawn up some mock combat scenarios on paper and the new Battle Stress System seems be easier to use and work out, faster and more fun too, as it involves the both players to use the system.

Hopefully I should have time tomorrow to make another blog video for YouTube, where I will talk more that this new Battle Stress system and the new Movement Rules, both in more detail.

Good night all =O)

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 pm

There is my new vid which lays out the new rules changes I have been discussing on this thread. I would love to hear your thoughts on them guys???

http://youtu.be/liXb97Gi5nE

Brazouck
Knight of Epic
Knight of Epic

Post by Brazouck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi !

I haven't looked at the video (I'm at work :ugeek: ) but I'm ok that the movement system seems to be the heavy bit of your game.

Will test it with my wife once I would have guess how to print the piece without burning my printer.

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi and welcome Brazouck to the Epic Forum =O)

Well I originally started off with that intention (cutting down the movement section), but as its turned out, with the new rules its about the same length. However, the game play with the new rules is a lot easier, looks better, you can do more and is faster to use. Though I'm looking at ways of cutting down the rules.

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... finally :D.... finished the first draft of 3rd edition of the Three Plains Rulebook. Its a bit rough in places with the new rules, but at least it now all there :)

Brazouck
Knight of Epic
Knight of Epic

Post by Brazouck » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:14 am

great ! can we geta copy ?