Plains?

This forum is setup to talk about all the rules found in Three Plains’ Rulebook. So here new rules can be suggested, current rules can be debated by Epic Members and Epic Members or Me can help new players of Three Plains get to grip with its rules.
Curufea
Epic Warrior
Epic Warrior

Plains?

Post by Curufea » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:44 am

I've a general question - the continual use of the word "plains" I find confusing - it's a large featureless grassy flat area. Why is plains used instead of planes? In multiverse or multi-dimensional roleplaying games, the different dimensions are usually referred to as planes - possibly the idea being that they are layers. A plane being an area defined by 3 points or two lines in geometry.

So is the game set on a single world, which is divided up into three large flat areas, or is it set in 3 alternate dimensions similar to Chinese and Viking mythology?

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Re: Plains?

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 am

Firstly Curufea, let me welcome you to the Epic Forum :)

Secondly, I'm glad you have asked us this question as many gamers write asking me just the same thing.

The answer is:
Each Plain (of which there are many) is an alternate dimension, so your right there. However, the name of the game is more about how the people of the Middle Plain see their world or existence around them and how they understand it. So when they look out upon their own world, they know on long side there own there are many more different worlds too, where the Gods and their minions inhabit also exist.

However, the concept of a 'Space with in a Space' would sound unbelievable to the common ear on the Middle Plain. So it makes much more sense to them to think of it as stacking these worlds perfectly aligned one on top of the each other.

There are many Plains of Existence, but they all fall into to three general categories, which are the Higher Plains (Order), the Middle where the game is set and the Lower Plains (Chaos), so they think of it as three Plains, hence the game of the game, Three Plains.

Also the word 'Plain' as you say conjures up large areas of land, which I preferred over dimension or even plane which doesn't make me imagine very much at all.

I hope that answers your question :)