Question about mounted beasts and agility

This forum is setup to talk about all the rules found in Three Plains’ Rulebook. So here new rules can be suggested, current rules can be debated by Epic Members and Epic Members or Me can help new players of Three Plains get to grip with its rules.
tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Question about mounted beasts and agility

Post by tom1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:54 pm

I thougt that if a character was mounted on a beast he would use its agility and not his own but under the rules he only has a -1 modifier to agilty- so my question is does that mean if my character is on a griffin with the armour or swiftness does he then have 3 agility?
Here's the rule from the book for reference

If a character is 'mounted' (or sat) upon a steed, beast or war machine, they
must use their mount's agility value if it is greater than their own. For
instance, a rider with no agility is mounted on a Griffin with an agility of 2,
they will share their beast's agility. So the rider would gain +2 agility to their
own save. However, if the rider has a greater agility than their mount, they
will suffer -1 agility to their own save. Furthermore, if the rider's beast they
are mounted on is 'Sluggish', they will suffer -2 agility to their save instead of -1.

Additionally if you read the rule it doesn't make much sense as it states if the riders agility is greater he uses his own instead but what if there the same.
I might just have an old book but though I should check
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Re: Question about mounted beasts and agility

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:07 pm

tom1 wrote:I thougt that if a character was mounted on a beast he would use its agility and not his own but under the rules he only has a -1 modifier to agilty- so my question is does that mean if my character is on a griffin with the armour or swiftness does he then have 3 agility?
Here's the rule from the book for reference
Yes the hero would use the Griffin's agility save, unless the rider had a higher agility save, but the rider would have to an agility save of 4 or higher for it to count, and even then it would be lowered to 3, because the griffin would slow down the rider ability to dodge hits.
tom1 wrote:Additionally if you read the rule it doesn't make much sense as it states if the riders agility is greater he uses his own instead but what if there the same.
Well then they are the same then, because its no greater than the Griffin's save, so the Rider does not suffer -1 to their agility save, nor is it cancelled out as its the same as the Griffin's save.

But you bringing this up most likely means the rule could do with simplifying or made clearer to understand. So I will take another look at it again :)

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:24 pm

Ok cheers, personally I think the rider should just use the mounts agility and not benefit from his own, off course if his mount dies he'll have his agility again

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:59 am

I can see why you would say that, but 'Agility' represents more than just moving out of the way of dangerous blows. For instance, 'Agility' also represents how good a piece reacts to danger and does something about it, like deflecting a blow. However, being stuck on a creature slower than you would affect the rider's agility, but not completely cancel it out.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:32 am

Fair enough, ok as long as the rules clear