Help- Tedious model making process

If want to chat about creating, drawing, designing models or figures, then this is the place to do it.
DannyC
Epic Champion
Epic Champion

Help- Tedious model making process

Post by DannyC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Some time ago, I began making the models and I experienced several difficulties. You see, I had to print the models out on A4 papers and stick them on cardboards, and I had to do this because I'm not sure if my printer can handle paper thickness more than that of A4 printing papers. But, in doing so, I had to do the sticking twice (front and back) on the cardboard. Whilst, if I could print them out straight on card stock, this would have been much easier. Not too big of an issue. What i found tedious was ensuring that I don't lose the already cut-out pieces, which means to say, I keep them carefully one by one after I got them cut out. Also, I had the constant fear of losing the pieces because they're rather small. Feedback I hope you would consider: Make the model such that I can simply cut out each model's front and back as one piece and then fold right in the middle. Of course, I'll greatly appreciate advices on model making, if by any means, modifying the already done print book, is too much effort on Dave's part. Thank you.

*By the way, it took me months before finally finished my mercenary army and I had to shove the rest aside due to studies. I really want to get playing as soon as possible. :(
Every turn counts.

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Re: Help- Tedious model making process

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi Danny and nice you see you again :)

Firstly, I really would try to print the models on to 160gsm card first, which is quite thin for card really and basic printers should be able to handle. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to rework the prints now. Though I do feel they are ok just the way they are.

:idea: But thinking about it, if you cannot use card in your printer, get a piece of 160gsm card, use a glue stick shown underneath and glue the allover first. Then get a dry model sheet you printed off earlier and stick them together complete flat onto the card. Then immediately get two large books and use them as a press, by putting the model sheet between them and leaving it to try. Then cut out the models. lol sometimes I even stand on the press for a a bit too ;)... Leave the models in the press for at least 2 hours, but really the longer the better, so you might even want to leave a few over night. This should get rid of your warping of your models. Old big books are really good for pressing prints together, but use their outer covers, now their insides. Because if you do, sometimes the books ink can press on to your models.

Hope that hleps :)

DannyC
Epic Champion
Epic Champion

Post by DannyC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Thank you. :D
Every turn counts.

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic