The New Undying Legions of the Restless (Undead Army)

This section of the Forum has been opened up to talk about the up and coming Restless (Undead) Army for Three Plains.
Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

The New Undying Legions of the Restless (Undead Army)

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:26 pm

Hi all,

Behind the scenes we have been working on the next army for three Plains which will be the The Undying Legions of the Restless, an Undead Army List.

We have already started work on their army codex and underneath are its military pieces:

Character Pieces
Fallen Great Ones - Pretty decent Skeleton Warlord.
Forgotten Champion - Skeleton Hero
Bag of Bones - Skeleton Halfwit Piece
Ethereal Lord - Spirit Warlord
Hero of a Lost Age - A lesser Spirit Hero
Restless Wizards

The Undying Legions - Restless Unit Pieces
The Scared - Skeleton Warriors
The Meek - Weak but Skeleton Fighters
The Battle Hardened Bones - Elites Fighters
Blood Skulls - Loosing moving Skeleton Elite Fighters
Revenant - Elite Fighters that do not crumble
Skeleton Archers
Skeleton Skirmishers
Skeleton Light Housemen
Skeleton Cavalry
Ceaseless Crusaders - Skeleton Elite Cavalry
Ethereal Warriors - Spirit Warriors
Ethereal Riders - Medium Spirit Cavalry
The Past Legends - Elite Spirit Cavalry
Life Breakers/Follows of Anex - Supper Entities Warriors, but will have drawbacks to using them in a battle

Restless Beast Pieces
Undead Carrion - Weak Horde Swarm Piece that can fly
Bone Hounds
Bone Giant
Undead Griffin
Bone Dragon - Medium sized Dragon

War Machines Pieces
Skeleton Bolt Thrower
Skeleton Catapult
Undead Bone Tower - Siege Tower
Undead Siege Ram
Undead Trebuchet

The Restless Backstory
The Restless are all about 'Unfinished Business'. So behind all Undead Restless hordes is always a great undead hero who has the Will to defy death and come back to exact his revenge on the living. Therefore, the Restless are neither a force for good or evil. In fact they can be liken more to a natural disaster when they appear on the world of Many to wreak havoc.

Over the last year thanks to Tom1, who's codex it is, it has already developed into a full list of pieces. I would like to give you more details, but I just don't have the time to give you guys more about them at this time.

I'm hoping to get their first rough codex out soon after Xmas.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Re: The New Undying Legions of the Restless (Undead Army)

Post by tom1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:31 pm

The Restless should hopefully bring a new dynamic to the game lol, there unlike any other army really there like the elves in that they are very well disciplined but not as good in combat though compared to humans who have similar stats they have more staying power in combat and just because you charge them doesn't mean there going to break and flee
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:19 am

Ye, not breaking and running away is their biggest strength if you ask me, because you just cannot punch through them like you can other armies. However, much like in the old Warhammer Fantasy game, they can Crumble if they lose a combat, and if they are wiped out in their first turn of fighting, you can still over run into another enemy unit, but you need one hell of a force to do that!

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:55 am

Yeah there was the case where your grand riders in wedge formation charged head first into my ceaseless crusaders ( undead grandriders basically) also in wedge formation, in my mind I had written them off as that would be certain death for any other army as the battle stress from flimsy ranks, which would've been 6 off top of my head ,along with casualties would've meant that I'd break and run, though after the combat and the crumbling damage meant I was still left with a sizable force ( in thanks to the fact that me and Alex field what Dave refers to as death stars of basically huge groups of cavalry) and after his cavalry were pinned there they got flaneed by spear men and promptly broke as all undead are fearless so even with the casualties my horsemen still stood there ground under the unfavourable odds.

I think this story is best to explain the staying power of the undead because that caught both sides off-guard the undead and the humans as I thought that you'd smash em overrun my flank and get the win, but because of that you lost your toughest unit and I managed to pull out a win after a bloody battle.

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:25 pm

Yep, that is a good example right there :) in that battle though I made a silly mistake there :?

The problem with fighting the Undead is that in the back of your mind, you can end up treating them like all other mortal armies if your not careful, which break and run a way. What you need to do when you fight the undead is chuck the conventional rulebook out of the window and get ready for a tow to tow fight with them. The undead are generally quite expensive, but not that hard in combat. So if you hold your ground you should be in a good chance of beating them.

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:27 pm

As promised, here is the first draft of the Restless' Special Rules. As always, all feedback and comments are wellcome.

The Restless Special Rules
Indomitable Will
Behind every restless horde that marches to war, there is a great indomitable will driving them forward. This utterly determined leader of the undead, had been greatly wronged in their lifetime, and now they have returned after death to set things right once and for all!

Just like all other armies, the Restless Player must choose a Character Piece to take on a role of the army's 'General', as explained in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **. However, because one Indomitable Will drive the Restless Horde forward's to war, who is always the army's general, if they die during a battle, all Undead Pieces under his or her command will lose their will to fight and immediately crumble to nothing. Therefore, if a Restless General dies, all pieces under their command are instantly destroyed and removed from play, unless they are the Life Breakers and the Revenant, as explained on page ** and **.

The Power of Conviction
When a Restless Spirit returns to finish its business in the realm of the living, such is their conviction for settling their grievance they can rise up countless other lost souls to help them in their quest.

In battle, when a lifeless fighter is struck down, they will be raised back up again to fight again and again until their master has finished with them.

All Restless pieces within 24 inches of their General at the start of their turn can restore 3D life points' worth of models. General can even restore lost points upon him or herself.

Crumbling
Why run when you are already dead..?

All Restless pieces cannot be forced to flee like the majority of all other living pieces can, which makes these pieces 'Unbreakable', as described in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **. Furthermore, the Restless will automatically pass all checks they face during a game, such as all Deviancy Checks and any others.

However, when the Restless suffer battle stress they must still take a check when appropriate, as the battle stress they suffer puts a large strain on their master's ability to keep their fighters' souls from returning back to the afterlife. Therefore, when a Restless piece takes any kind of battle stress check during a game total up the amount of battle stress they have suffered in that check, and roll out the restless' soldiering dice. For each +4 rolled, cancels out 1 battle stress against the Restless piece. For each battle stress point that is not cancelled out, deduct 1 life point from the Restless piece.

'Nothing' can save against the damage caused from 'Crumbling', and the life points lost must be dispersed upon the piece just like shooting damage is.

When the Restless suffer from 'Endurance', as described in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **, it puts a huge strain on their hold over their souls. Therefore, if a Restless should gain an endurance counter for dashing for instance, instead of placing down an endurance counter next to that unit, it will suffer the lost of D3 life points instead. 'Endurance' is explained in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **.

Fear +1-2
There are few things in the moral realm that can unnerve a man like seeing the dead walk again...

All Restless pieces cause either '+1 or +2 Fear', as explained in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **.

Immune to Poison
The Walking Dead have no need of their heart, brain, veins or even their mussels, which makes all poisons useless against them, as they have no living tissue to damage.

All Restless Pieces are immune to the affects of 'Poison'. 'Poison' and its effects are explained in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **.

The Dead Fear Nothing
After one dies, what do they have to fear anymore...

All Restless Pieces are immune to the effects of 'Fear', which is described in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **.

Dead Weight
Your high walls may save you against the Undead, but your deep moats will not stop them! Entire legions of the dead have been seen entering large bodies of water only to emerge soon after at its other side to strike at the living.

The Undead cannot drown like the living can, as explained in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **. Therefore, all undead can move through deep bodies of water wearing Heavy Armour (+❷ armouring or more) and suffer no damage. However, they will still move at half pace through deep water as normal.

Spirits and Ethereal Attacks and Weapons
Those lost souls who had a strong spirit during life, can return as a spectre, instead of possessing a corpse to interact with the living realm.

Spirits are particularly deadly in battle. They can float across the battlefield much faster than the living can run, and can freely move through walls and unanimated things. However, it is their cold touch of death they bring to battle most fear about warrior Spirits. This is because few can defend against them, as their attacks can pass through living tissue and the toughest of armours as if it was not even there...

All 'Spirit Pieces' can move through all unanimated things on the battlefield without suffering any penalties to their movement, such as walls and buildings. They cannot move through living, demonic or other ethereal being such like themselves.

All Spirits have a magic save.

All Spirits make 'Ethereal Attacks', which completely cancel out their target's toughness and resistance saves. However, if the target has magic as part of its save, it will double it up against an Ethereal Attack.

Spirits can only carry 'Ethereal Weapons' and 'Armour'. However, they can carry and use Magic Weapons and Armour found in the Three Plains Rulebook. If they use Magic Weapons or Armour, they will become ethereal.

Magical Weapons that have become Ethereal Weapons benefit from the ethereal attack bonus in combat or shooting, as explained above. The weapons new ethereal bonus is simply added to the magic item's existing benefits.

Magical Armour that has become ethereal loses all toughness and resistance save bonuses the armour grants to its wearer. The armour will keep the other benefits it grants to its wearer.

Note: Bear in mind that a model's magic save cannot be added to or increased, but it can be replaced if the model has access to a magic item or ability which offers a higher value to save on.

Unfinished Business
What brings the dead back to plague the living time and time again? That is simple, they only return to put right what went wrong in life. In short, they still have Unfinished Business to attend too, and nothing, not even death will not get in their way.

There is always one great forma great leader behind an Undead Horde of Restless Walkers who drives them onwards to war, so that they can claim their revenge or right some great wrong they had suffered during their lifetime.

All Restless armies must take one Unfinished Business characteristic, underneath. Whatever their unfinished business is, that trait will affect the entire army.

Still Work to be Do!
During their lives, they could not rest until their great task had been completed. However, death found them too early and they never finished their life's work...

In death, instead of finding the peace they deserved, their spirit could not rest. After only a few high moons, their tomb or graves are empty and their lifeless corpse walks again to finish their life's work.

This Unfinished Business characteristic is free, but grants no bonuses for choosing it.

A Second Chance
They were so close to victory, but if they had only drilled their warriors harder or listened to that good bit of advice they ignored they would have won the day and entered history as a legend.

The truth is however, they failed in life and lost everything, when the victory they wanted was within their grasps because of a simple mistake they made at a crucial moment!

Their uneasy spirit in death just cannot accept this. So they must come back and put it right where they went wrong in life and finally put their soul's to rest once and for all.

This Unfinished Business characteristic grants +1 soldiering to the entire Restless army.

Burning Envy
In life they were a great leader, but there were never the best, for they had a rival, who always seemed to beat them in all things, even the great game of life. In death however, they intend to return and play one final game, where they will prove they are the best once and for all.

All Restless pieces with this Unfinished Business characteristic gain +1 combat rating.

Unrelenting Vengeance
The General suffered a crushing defeat and even if it was through trickery or superior tactics he developed an intense hatred for the enemy and wants nothing more than their total annihilation.

All Restless models with the Unfinished Business characteristic will make 'one' final attack before they are removed from the game for being slain in combat.

The unrelenting vengeance attack is always resolved after all other models in the combat have fought. If the model with this attack had any special bonuses or penalties for carrying a special weapon for instance, those modifiers are applied to the attack.

Endless Hatred
The General has watched everything they ever loved be destroyed, their wife, children and homes have all gone at the hands of the cursed enemy, including their own lives.

In death, their souls cannot rest, as they burn with utter hatred for those who have wronged them in life. They will awaken again and rise up their fallen comrades by their shear determination and will power and march them to war once more, to have their vengeance!

All Restless pieces with this Unfinished Business characteristic suffer from 'Hatred', as described in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **.

True Love Never Dies
They say that true love never dies, but the strongest of all the loves can drive a soul to return from death to save those they left behind.

A Restless army with Unfinished Business characteristic resist Crumbling by -2.

Great Guilt & Sorrow
In life, the leader was disgrace and brought great shame on his family and people. Unable to accept this death, they have now returned to make up for their shame.

As they march once more, extreme sorrow and sadness follows them everywhere they go, which makes their living enemies far more uneasy then they should be when they fight the Undead.

All Restless Pieces with this Unfinished Business Characteristic add '+1 Fear' to their existing fear rating, to a maximum of 2. 'Fear' is explained in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **.

Oath Keeper
Death is no excuse to break a Solemn Oath one has made in life.

Because of the Oath their made when they was alive, the forces of magic seems to be with them, making all the Undead they raise up to fight in their cause harder to strike down...

All Restless Pieces with this Unfinished Business characteristic add +1 magic to their stat line profile.

Undying Passion
In life they fought with a ferocious tenacity, which helped them defy death and return to seek their revenge upon the living. And for those lost souls who have been risen in their wake of destruction, fight with the same ferocious tenacity as their master does in combat.

All Restless pieces with this Unfinished Business characteristic suffer from 'Frenzy', as described in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:38 pm

Awesome, the only thing I feel I should hold menation is didn't we discuss that magic weapons taken by ethereal beings would double in points?

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:46 am

tom1 wrote:Awesome, the only thing I feel I should hold menation is didn't we discuss that magic weapons taken by ethereal beings would double in points?
Well I gave it more thought, and I reckoned that the cost of the Ethereal Attack bonus will be covered in the Spirit's cost anyway, and they will be pretty costly characters. Also all other races can add their bonuses on to a magic weapon's bonus, so why not Spirits.

I'm thinking a typical Restless Lord will be about 100pts, when a Ethereal Lord will be about 175pts.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:56 am

Ok sounds right well have to test it though

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:15 pm

I've just had a cracking idea, which Tom1 I'm sure you're going to love !!! :shock:

Ethereal Archers :twisted:

Think about it, you would not be able to save against them because of their Ethereal Arrows, but they would be costly mate.