The New Undying Legions of the Restless (Undead Army)

This section of the Forum has been opened up to talk about the up and coming Restless (Undead) Army for Three Plains.
tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Re: The New Undying Legions of the Restless (Undead Army)

Post by tom1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Well as it stands at the moment you get as many d3 as you have soldiering for your general which is 5 so so far you've only been able to raise a max of 15LP back of models anyway so if that's how it works it won't really be a big difference
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:41 pm

tom1 wrote:Well as it stands at the moment you get as many d3 as you have soldiering for your general which is 5 so so far you've only been able to raise a max of 15LP back of models anyway so if that's how it works it won't really be a big difference
Your right, but I think you will like the new proposed rules for the Revenant, as I think it makes more sense. Though we shouldn't notice too much of a difference in how effective the Restless are at raising back the dead.

Revenant
When a Restless Spirit returns to finish its business in the realm of the living, such is their conviction for settling their grievance they can rise up countless other lost souls to help them in their quest.

In battle, when a lifeless fighter is struck down, they will be raised back up again to fight again and again until their master has finished with them.

Rarely these Indomitable Wills will not return by themselves. They will seek out and rise up comrades who aided them in life and shared their goals. These Undead are known as the Revenant, and though their wills are not as strong as their master's, they can resist crumbling if their master falls and even raise up their own Undead Warriors to fight along side them.

All pieces, apart from the Life Breakers can be upgraded to become a 'Revenant' piece. The Character Model that what takes on the role as the Army's General, must always be a Revenant piece by default.

A Character, Beast or Unit can be upgraded become a Revenant Piece.

To upgrade a piece to become a Revenant will cost it 25 points. However, every other time this upgraded is taken the cost of this perk will go up by +25 points.

A Revenant Piece generates 'Will Points' to hold their Restless Horde together during a battle.

A Revenant Piece' Soldiering Value will determine how many Will Points they are entitled to in a turn. For instance, a Revenant Character with a Soldiering of 5 will generate 5 Will Points per turn.

The Revenant Piece can spend their Will Points to restore lost life points during a game within 8 inches of them. Each Will Point spent will raise back or restore 2D life points worth of lost models.

Gaming pieces totally destroyed cannot be restored.

All excess life points restored upon models with multiple wounds are lost. They cannot be passed over on to other models, even if they are within the same unit.

Will Points can be spent all at once, or one at a time. They can also be spent at any time during the game. However, Will Points cannot be saved from turn to turn.

If the General dies, all Revenant Models will not be destroyed along with them. Instead, they and any unit they are accompanying will remain to fight on.

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:36 pm

Is This better Wording for this Dave?

Revenant
When a Restless Spirit returns to finish its business in the realm of the living, such is their conviction for settling their grievance they can rise up countless other lost souls to help them in their quest.

In battle, when a lifeless fighter is struck down, they will be raised back up again to fight again and again until their master has finished with them.

Rarely these Indomitable Wills will not return by themselves. They will seek out and rise up comrades who aided them in life and shared their goals. These Undead are known as the Revenant, and though their wills are not as strong as their master's, they can resist crumbling if their master falls and even raise up their own Undead Warriors to fight along side them.

All pieces; Except those from the Life Breakers, can be upgraded to become a 'Revenant' piece. The Character Model that the controlling player designates as the Army's General becomes a Revenant piece by default at no point cost.

A Character or any unit except war machines can be upgraded become a Revenant Piece.

To upgrade a piece to become a Revenant will cost it 25 points. However, each additional time this upgrade is taken the cost of this perk will go up by a cumulative +25 points.

Revenant Pieces generates 'Will Points' to hold their Restless Horde together during a battle.

A Revenant Piece' Soldiering Value will determine how many Will Points they are entitled to in a turn. For instance, a Revenant Character with a Soldiering of 5 will generate 5 Will Points per turn.

If the General dies, Revenant Pieces will not be destroyed along with the rest of the army. Instead, they and any unit partially within 8 inches will remain on the board. If at any time after this a non-Revenant piece moves out of the 8 inch partial range, they are immediately destroyed and removed.

Will Points

Even a second death is no respite in a restless army, for their work is not done until their masters will is enacted to right the tragedy that befell the army while it still lived.

Revenant Pieces can spend their generated Will Points to restore lost life points during a game to pieces within 8 inches of them. Each Will Point spent will raise back or restore D2 life points worth of lost models.

Gaming pieces totally destroyed cannot be restored.

All excess life points restored upon models with multiple wounds are lost. They cannot be passed over on to other models, even if they are within the same unit.

Will Points can be spent all at once, or one at a time. They can also be spent at any time during the game. However, Will Points that are not spent before the start of your opponents combat phase are lost.
What if Deja Vu...
Meant I lost a life and started back at the last checkpoint?

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:45 pm

I Think I better explain myself a little on one of the edits I made:
Will Points can be spent all at once, or one at a time. They can also be spent at any time during the game. However, Will Points that are not spent before the start of your opponents combat phase are lost.
This prevents punishing armies with little ranged damage unfairly, as after a combat in their turn, the opponent could raise up some of those losses and in their very next turn, get a second run of resurrections, effectively doubling the healing they get. My opinion is that as before, resurrection should be limited to the controlling players turn only, and once the combat phase begins, then they are lost.

This would prevent biased No-Win situations and mean the opponent has to predict what you are going to do, rather than just having the ability to do so as a gimmick.

An example would be two weakened restless units protecting the flank of an army, if either were to be charged, they would more than likely be destroyed and pushed through. an opponent seeks to charge one to push through for the potential victory sweep, however, the restless player has 6 will points nearby that could turn the tide. from a fairness point of view, the restless player should have had to make a decision in their turn of whether to split the will points and hope for the best or focus one unit in preparedness of a counter charge in their turn to try and reduce the damage. with how the rule is written now written, as soon as the enemy player declared which unit they were charging and completed the charge, you could immediately use those will points to bolster that unit, negating any strategic thinking that should be winning the battle.
What if Deja Vu...

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:55 pm

This will be a major change and as it's written will be overpowered or underpowered as it might be very expensive to upgrade a piece to a revenant and for any further upgrades

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:26 pm

I guess it's worth depends on what you give it to. You could give it to a survivable piece with low soldiering to ensure your army is difficult to crumble by using it as a pillar to hold the army up or give it to a piece with high soldiering that might be in the thick of the fight but it can raise back large sections of your army while it stands.
What if Deja Vu...

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:49 pm

Yeah I think ill have to pop into daves on a Saturday so we can give it a few test runs to see how it'd work on the battlefield because as it stands to me to looks very brittle as if 1 unit generates it within 8inchs that unit will be very heavily focused and easier to focus attacks against

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:24 pm

That's actually a good point... Unless we keep the expanded range for the general and can rule that it works as such:

When working out how many will points your army has, you do not have to specify which units are revenant (except the general) but must note down which units are revenant in the event of a revenant unit being destroyed and the loss of their will points. Whilst a revenant unit is within the generals range of effect, they may pool their willpoints with the generals but immediately lose their own range of influence until the controlling player reveals them to be a revenant piece or the death of the general occurs.

I do admit that them being immediately evident is a massive drawback, but they are extensions of their leaders will in my opinion and should be able to pool their will with him.
What if Deja Vu...

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:43 pm

Yeah well just have to see what Dave has to say and give it a few dry runs modifying the rules as we go

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:02 am

Looking at the revenant rules again the fact that it's 25pts got your first revenant then 50 for your next is gonna make or break them as it's depend on how much characters are as 75 pts for chances are 9 D2 as your really gonna have to make sure that your units are within 8 inches and hope you can bolster your defences where you need to as 8 inches is alot smaller then you think really buts it more the enough when you get into close combat