The New Undying Legions of the Restless (Undead Army)

This section of the Forum has been opened up to talk about the up and coming Restless (Undead) Army for Three Plains.
TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Re: The New Undying Legions of the Restless (Undead Army)

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 am

It'll be higher than that, base soldiering is 3 for your units so there's 6 for 2 revenant units, take good soldiering general and that gives you 11 will points. not to mention that we haven't added a scaling cost for what the unit is as of yet, so it could be that weaker units cost less for revenant while more expensive and higher soldiering units cost more. its still early so lets see how it works out. the point increase is mainly a balancing thing to stop the entire army being revenant and ending up with ridiculous amounts of recovery. Can you imagine an entire revenant army with 33 will points, they'd never die... :shock:
What if Deja Vu...
Meant I lost a life and started back at the last checkpoint?

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:57 am

TristanSykes1994 wrote:Is This better Wording for this Dave?

Revenant
When a Restless Spirit returns to finish its business in the realm of the living, such is their conviction for settling their grievance they can rise up countless other lost souls to help them in their quest...

Trish, I like your version better of these rules and I will use them thanks :)

TristanSykes1994 wrote:This prevents punishing armies with little ranged damage unfairly, as after a combat in their turn, the opponent could raise up some of those losses and in their very next turn, get a second run of resurrections, effectively doubling the healing they get. My opinion is that as before, resurrection should be limited to the controlling players turn only, and once the combat phase begins, then they are lost.

Agreed, though I want the Restless' special ability raising the Dead to be pretty flexible. This is because I want it on par which what a Necromancy might be able to do with them casting magic to raise back the dead.

Personally, I think this new rule will allow the Restless player to be far more tactical. For instance, they could make sections of their army very hard to destroy, with them deploying plenty of Revenant Pieces around that area. On the other hand, this also allows their enemies to look for holes in their army, where they cannot raise back Undead Warriors.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:17 am

I see what you mean Tristan sorry I didn't read 2 will points as it was just such a big rule to take in I just missed that, and I agree I think the regeneration should be limited to the Restless players movement and shooting phase as one of his units could start buckling due to close combat, but you could just chuck in alot of will points and make it so you no longer are which would be unfair especially if it's during opponents turn
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:58 am

tom1 wrote:I see what you mean Tristan sorry I didn't read 2 will points as it was just such a big rule to take in I just missed that, and I agree I think the regeneration should be limited to the Restless players movement and shooting phase as one of his units could start buckling due to close combat, but you could just chuck in alot of will points and make it so you no longer are which would be unfair especially if it's during opponents turn
Are but a Necromancer will be about to do that, as their raising back the dead ability will be spell based, and I think that will be a nice undead perk.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:00 am

Yeah but at least you could stop them

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:02 pm

tom1 wrote:Yeah but at least you could stop them
I really think it will be a nice perk to have, but it wont be a game changer either. We have to remember that the Undead are not the best in combat and are really quite expensive, and little perks like these is the reason why.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:15 pm

Yeah, also back to the ethereal attacks debate if your think about it you could give a character the lucky coin and jaguars war paint and against ghosts they'd be pretty damn tough

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:50 pm

tom1 wrote:Yeah, also back to the ethereal attacks debate if your think about it you could give a character the lucky coin and jaguars war paint and against ghosts they'd be pretty damn tough
Totally, and Elves and other magical beings would do quite well about them.

The Restless, open up an whole new dimension to the game, which is pieces relying on magic saves. This should make the game more interesting.

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Yeah, also back to the ethereal attacks debate if your think about it you could give a character the lucky coin and jaguars war paint and against ghosts they'd be pretty damn tough
But that's a specific scenario, Characters are usually going to be reasonably tooled up enough to survive against ghosts, whether through being harder to hit, having a lot more life points and only allowing so many enemies to actually hit them. ethereal arrows though are something that, if implemented, are going to have to be really carefully considered cost wise as they will deal a lot more damage than people might be giving them credit for. they might not be a strong unit combat-wise but these guys are practically screaming to be used as a flanking force. a 4 magic save on a flanking piece that completely ignores standard saves is a nasty beast indeed.
What if Deja Vu...
Meant I lost a life and started back at the last checkpoint?

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:10 pm

TristanSykes1994 wrote:ethereal arrows though are something that, if implemented, are going to have to be really carefully considered cost wise as they will deal a lot more damage than people might be giving them credit for. they might not be a strong unit combat-wise but these guys are practically screaming to be used as a flanking force. a 4 magic save on a flanking piece that completely ignores standard saves is a nasty beast indeed.
Yes there are not going to be nice things at all to face in battle, but consider that the Restless don't have a great selection of War Machines, and they will not be cheap! After giving them a 'Endless Hatred' +1 to hit when shooting, they will be about 25 points each, making a unit of 20 Ethereal Archters 500pts.

Also I have never seen Ethereal Archers in any other game (lol and them being OP might be why). However, I just think they will be a really cool thing in the game to have :D