The New Undying Legions of the Restless (Undead Army)

This section of the Forum has been opened up to talk about the up and coming Restless (Undead) Army for Three Plains.
tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Re: The New Undying Legions of the Restless (Undead Army)

Post by tom1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Also they'll only have a damage rating 1 right so they won't do tons of damage as they'll still need 5-6 to hit so with 20 you'll probablyou do 6lp for 500pts lol
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:30 am

This morning I have been working on the very 'rough' Restless Codex and Im about one third the way through, I thought they could do with another update to their main rules, and this is what I propose:

"When the Restless suffer from 'Exhaustion', as described in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **, it puts a huge strain on their Master's hold over their souls. Therefore, if a Restless Piece should gain an endurance counter for dashing for instance, whilst exhausted, instead of placing down extra endurance counter next to that unit, it will suffer the loss of D3 life points instead. 'Endurance' is explained in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **."

This will allow them to use great weapons without them crumbling straight away like they would have done under the older version of their rules.

Btw, once I have finished writing their codex I will post it here.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:38 am

Tbh I agree with it as under the old rules I couldn't use great weapons which was a massive weakness especially as I couldn't tool up a unit with hammers or flails for fighting Orcs and elves respectively

Under there initial draft they didn't use endurance and instead gotaking an immediate d3 crumbling

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Therefore, if a Restless Piece should gain an endurance counter for dashing for instance, whilst exhausted, instead of placing down extra endurance counter next to that unit, it will suffer the loss of D3 life points instead. 'Endurance' is explained in the Three Plains Rulebook on page **."
Definitely agree here that this was needed to give them a better loadout option.
tom1 wrote:Also they'll only have a damage rating 1 right so they won't do tons of damage as they'll still need 5-6 to hit so with 20 you'll probablyou do 6lp for 500pts lol
The snag is not how much life point damage you are dealing, but what you are dealing it to. Put this against orc grunts and it means nothing, put this against saws carrying a maiden, and all of a sudden this becomes a lot more significant. You don't use these against normal troops, you use them against units that would otherwise be difficult to kill that would require a large expenditure of bodies to beat.
What if Deja Vu...
Meant I lost a life and started back at the last checkpoint?

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:41 pm

TristanSykes1994 wrote:
tom1 wrote: wrote: Also they'll only have a damage rating 1 right so they won't do tons of damage as they'll still need 5-6 to hit so with 20 you'll probablyou do 6lp for 500pts lol
The snag is not how much life point damage you are dealing, but what you are dealing it to. Put this against orc grunts and it means nothing, put this against saws carrying a maiden, and all of a sudden this becomes a lot more significant. You don't use these against normal troops, you use them against units that would otherwise be difficult to kill that would require a large expenditure of bodies to beat.
I think you both have a point here. However, yes Trish you would only use them to hit a high value target anyway, anything else would just be a waste of their abilities and their cost in points. So their cost should reflect how useful their are in a game, which should stop them from being too OP.

However, I am toying around with the idea that you will only be able to take ONE Spirit Unit Piece in the game or they will be quite costly in Diamonds, which should stop players from spamming out their ranks with them.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Yeah that's what I was getting at as obviously you'll have to pick and choose there targets wisely

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:40 pm

I've playing around with this idea... its going to sound a little out there, but hear me out :)

What if the first Revenant piece you pick had to be your general. So this would mean in theory you could choose a unit to be your general. My thinking behind this is a group of fighters could come back together all wanted and fighting for the same thing. What do you guys think?

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:02 pm

I can see what you mean as if you think about it in some armies they would have cowardly General's with much more dedicated soldiers but it would be very strange for an army not to have a general

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:56 am

tom1 wrote:I can see what you mean as if you think about it in some armies they would have cowardly General's with much more dedicated soldiers but it would be very strange for an army not to have a general
No no you misunderstand me. I'm saying a Restless Unit could be or take on the role of the Army's General. So instead of one character taking on the role, it could be an entire unit of models instead.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:44 am

I did know what you meant, they are going to be quite limited in magic items aren't they though