Post game test talk

This section of the Forum has been opened up to talk about the up and coming Restless (Undead) Army for Three Plains.
TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Re: Post game test talk

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:31 am

As for continuing on the ground, I would say no. The fight occurs in the air and one combatant has "Lost" the combat through death and plummeting out of the fight. even if the rider were to survive, it would take some time to notice and is actually more beneficial to the loser than the victor as the victor could then be caught by ground units it could have otherwise avoided.
What if Deja Vu...
Meant I lost a life and started back at the last checkpoint?

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:29 pm

But then you could argue the Griffin gets a wipe out move and it could just go into the character anyway to finish him off
Master of all things undead, any questions regarding undead i'm your man

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:47 pm

But that's at the choice of the player, not forced upon them. would you rather be forced to continue combat with a grounded piece despite the fact there may be a piece waiting for you to do exactly that, or have the option to move away from that to fight somewhere else on the battlefield?
What if Deja Vu...

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Yeah but if it's a grounded character then you'll get 4 battle stress for overlap and fear so at least 5 before you even fight, fair enough if you know that you don't want to fight you don't have to, but I doubt many would pass up the chance

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:29 pm

Time for me to way in here :)
TristanSykes1994 wrote:Falling from a mount like that would be no small event. Not only are you plummeting towards the ground, but there's several hundred kilograms of dead meat literally falling with you that you cannot control dragging you with it. In almost every case, a fall like this would be a death sentence due to the speed it would occur and the time needed to react. The only saving result would be luck as even agility is useless unless you have some way to control yourself in the air.
I agree with both your comments. Though I should say Trish that falling is not the issue here, as the rules for that already exist and are as follows:

"If the flying beast or war machine has a rider or riders, they too will also come crashing down to the ground with an almighty thump! In the crash they will take 1 automatic hit, which deducting -3 to their toughness and agility saves. This automatic hit has a damage range of 1-6."
TristanSykes1994 wrote:As for continuing on the ground, I would say no. The fight occurs in the air and one combatant has "Lost" the combat through death and plummeting out of the fight. even if the rider were to survive, it would take some time to notice and is actually more beneficial to the loser than the victor as the victor could then be caught by ground units it could have otherwise avoided.
I agree here.
tom1 wrote:But then you could argue the Griffin gets a wipe out move and it could just go into the character anyway to finish him off
I think this is going to be the best option for this rare situation too.
TristanSykes1994 wrote:But that's at the choice of the player, not forced upon them. would you rather be forced to continue combat with a grounded piece despite the fact there may be a piece waiting for you to do exactly that, or have the option to move away from that to fight somewhere else on the battlefield?
tom1 wrote:Yeah but if it's a grounded character then you'll get 4 battle stress for overlap and fear so at least 5 before you even fight, fair enough if you know that you don't want to fight you don't have to, but I doubt many would pass up the chance
Ok, I think we can all agree here then :) However, what should happen if the rider falls out of combat and then he or she gets up and flees? I suppose under what we are suggesting that the Flyer would get a wipe out move and could use to destroy the fallen rider. However, the Flyer would get the wipe out bonus before the fallen rider would have a chance to flee.

tom1
A Viscount of Epic
A Viscount of Epic

Post by tom1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Well this is gonna be awkward to write up lol

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:59 pm

tom1 wrote:Well this is gonna be awkward to write up lol
It was :) what do you think updated flying rules?

Flying Pieces
Depending on how they are arranged, all pieces that can 'Fly' use loose movement for either 'groups' or 'individual models' to travel around on the board, with the following additional rules explained underneath.

Pieces that can fly will have this indicated within their movement value's stats, which will have one value for their normal ground movement, and another one for how far they can 'Fly' on the battlefield.

Flying pieces can end their move whilst still flying, or they can instead come down and land. Whatever they do, this must be declared to the other side if they are still 'Airborne' or not.

However, if a flying piece takes off during its turn, it cannot land or charge an enemy on the ground in that same movement phase.

If a piece is airborne, then they are always presumed to be flying at 6 inches above the board's ground level. If they fly move over another airborne piece, they always fly over them by another 6 inches. They will never fly under another airborne piece. The height that airborne pieces fly at is really important to know for working out the ranges of spells, missiles and other game effects' ranges like 'Fear' or 'Cowardly' that could affect them. This is because the height of a flying piece flies at, has to be taken into account when working out the range of a game effect. The rules for 'Fear' and 'Cowardly' pieces are explained on page 66.

Flying pieces can move over all obstacles on the gaming board, even impassable terrain without suffering any movement penalties.

Whilst a piece is airborne, it CANNOT block awareness ranges of other pieces, nor can it stop other piece's moving on the ground, flying or even charging past it.

If a flying piece ends its move whilst still in the air, it can be placed on top of all ground based obstacles as it passes or hovers over them, which could include; impassable cliffs, tall walls and even other enemy pieces.

On the other hand, whilst still airborne, a piece cannot use any kind of scenery to hide behind, which might otherwise stop them from being targeted with shooting or magic, as they would really be flying to high to use it as cover.

Also, whilst a flying piece is up in the air it cannot be charged by any enemy which cannot fly themselves, but it still can be targeted with shooting and magic as usual. However, other enemy flying pieces can still charge it and fight it in the 'Combat Phase' as normal. Turn to page 41 to learn more about the 'Combat Phase'.

If a flying piece is slain in an air combat or shot down for any other reason, it will come crashing down to the ground, and could squash all beneath it! Placed the fallen model directly underneath its last location down on the board. In the crash, the flying model and its rider/s will all suffer one hit each that does -3 to their toughness and agility saves, with a damage range of 1-3. All models underneath the crashing model's base will suffer the same. If the model crashing has 10 life points or over, they will instead suffer -6 to their toughness and agility saves, with a damage range of 1-6 damage. All models underneath that crashing model's base will suffer the same.

Note: As explained on page 69, the rider cannot use the beast's agility to add to their save in this instance if it is dead.

When a flying model and its rider/s fall out of an air combat and somehow survive the crash, they have left the air combat above them. The survivors are free to move as normal in their next turn. The victorious flying piece still up in the air will immediately gain a 'Wipe Out Bonus Move', which can even be used to charge their fallen enemy down on the ground. 'Wipe Out Bonus Moves' are explained on page 30.

If a flying piece lands or crashes directly on an enemy unit or group of models, it does not count as a charge into combat. Instead it is automatically 'Engulfed' by the enemy, and both sides will fight each other as normal from there. If the enemy cannot engulf the flying piece because it is an individual model for example, then the flying piece is moved to the enemy's front instead, and the two sides will fight each other as usual from there. To learn how to 'Engulf' a piece in combat turn to page 30.

If a flying piece chooses to end its turn on the ground, it cannot land on impassable terrain, another friendly piece, nor can it settle on terrain features which are too small to support its base. Therefore, if a flying piece cannot land for those reasons just described, it must come down elsewhere on the board or remain up in the air.

TristanSykes1994
Epic Lord
Epic Lord

Post by TristanSykes1994 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:13 pm

When a flying model and its rider/s fall out of an air combat and somehow survive the crash, they have left the air combat above them. The survivors are free to move as normal in their next turn. The victorious flying piece still up in the air will immediately gain a 'Wipe Out Bonus Move', which can even be used to charge their fallen enemy down on the ground. 'Wipe Out Bonus Moves' are explained on page 30.
The question here now is this though dave, if the character fell because the beast died and is charged by the wipe out move, as it is a fresh round of combat, does it still take the stress for the death of the beast as the unit technically left the combat where it died and there is a rule that states if a piece leaves combat, all stress generated in that combat is negated.
What if Deja Vu...

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:21 pm

TristanSykes1994 wrote:
The question here now is this though dave, if the character fell because the beast died and is charged by the wipe out move, as it is a fresh round of combat, does it still take the stress for the death of the beast as the unit technically left the combat where it died and there is a rule that states if a piece leaves combat, all stress generated in that combat is negated.
No is the short answer here and this is the rule you are talking about I believe:

Battle Stress created from Dead Pieces in combat
In combat, if one side is wiped out leaving the other totally free from all fighting, all the battle stress created by the slain side is ignored, which means it cannot be counted towards any subsequent battle stress checks in the game.

So the fallen and surviving enemy would suffer all battle stress caused in that combat they dropped out of, because they are still around to suffer it.

However, this raises another good point, the winner of the air combat could still suffer battle stress and break even when they won the combat :? So its back to the drawing board :)

Dave
Keeper of Epic
Keeper of Epic

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 pm

Here's the fix to that rule:

When a flying model and its rider/s fall out of an air combat and somehow survive the crash, they have left the air combat above them, and are free to move as normal in their next turn. The victorious flying piece still up in the air becomes immune to taking a Break Check in the next battle stress phase, as it affectively won that air combat. Furthermore, it can immediately make a 'Wipe Out Bonus Move', which can even be used to charge their fallen enemy down on the ground. 'Wipe Out Bonus Moves' are explained on page 30.